Friday, April 22, 2011

I Love Erma Bombeck!



I just read this quote from Erma Bombeck (she has soooo many!).  I have read at least one of her books and have read her quotes throughout the years, but I have committed myself to read several of her books, beginning with, Motherhood:  The Second Oldest Profession.  Sounds intriguing, right?  If I Had My Life to Live Over is a great writing prompt for a journal entry, or Book of Remembrance keep-sake.  I think I will work on writing something like this for myself.  I hope you enjoy this quote from Erma as much as I have.


If I Had My Life to Live Over, by Erma Bombeck
  • I would have talked less and listened more.
  • I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
  • I would have eaten popcorn in the "good" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
  • I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather rambling about his youth.
  • I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
  • I would have burned the pink candled sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
  • I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
  • I would have cried and laughed less while watching television, and more while watching life.
  • I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
  • I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
  • Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment, realizing that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
  • When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later.  Now go get washed up for dinner.
  • There would have been more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's."
  • ...but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it...and never give it back.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...