Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yarn Dolls


The first time I ever saw a yarn doll was when I was in the first grade and my mom and sister and I went to a friend of my mom's for a Christmas get-together.  She had made these little dolls as Christmas tree ornaments in Christmas colors and crocheted little matching skirts for them.  She gave my sister and I a little doll and these adorned our tree for many years.  My mom probably still has these ornaments.

Directions:
Light-weight yarn, any color
4 x 4 inch piece of cardboard
Scissors 
Wind the yarn around the cardboard 12 to 20 times, depending on how thick you want your tassel to be.
Cut the yarn, and slip the end under the loops on the card.
Cut at 12 inch piece of yarn, and slip it between the loops and the card.  Tie the yarn in a tight knot to pull and hold the loops together.
Slide the loops off the card.
Tightly wind another 12 inch piece of yarn several times around the tassel, about one third of the way down from the top where your first piece of yarn is tied.  Tie in a firm knot.  This is the yarn doll's head.
Cut the loops of yarn at the bottom of the bundle, and trim the ends evenly.
Shake the yarn to fluff it.
Separate a few strands from each side of the doll to make arms by tying each arm with yarn about half-way down (wrap yarn around several times).  Trim each arm below where they are tied off.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...